Making Connections is suitable for students in Year 12 and Year 13 who are taking Biology and Chemistry at A Level or Health and Social Care students.
Making Connections aims to develop an understanding of the range of health related careers in the NHS and the links between these careers and science in school. Above all, the project aims to enthuse students about science and raise their aspirations accordingly.
The project involves a four-week cycle, including a variety of activities which all relate to a single virtual patient scenario, connected to an aspect of the sixth-form science curriculum:
- an introduction to problem-based learning, via a carefully-chosen virtual patient scenario
- a visit to the HYMS multi-function laboratory for some related practical work
- a series of virtual patient scenarios reflecting the A level Biology curriculum
Students have greatly enjoyed the project so far. This was seen in their comments after an interim-evaluation:
- "I am even more determined to study medicine."
- "It has given me an insight into what the learning would be like."
- "Developed my problem solving skills."
Year 12: Uncovering Medical School
'Uncovering Medical School' is for Year 12 students who are considering applying to study medicine. Students look at a problem based learning case about Stan, a bus driver, with possible heart problems which may connect with his lifestyle. The session also includes information about applying for Medicine, clinical skills experience and activities to develop communication skills.