Making Connections is suitable for students in Years 12 and 13 who are taking Biology and Chemistry at A Level or Health and Social Care students.
Making Connections aims to develop an understanding of the Problem Based Learning (PBL) method used at HYMS and to raise aspirations of students wishing to study medicine. The PBL method encourages students to apply their biology and chemistry knowledge to real life scenarios and develop learning outcomes based on these discoveries.
Making Connections is delivered in conjunction with schools and HYMS and takes the following format:
- Teachers attend a PBL information session and are given materials to work on with students
- Students work through a PBL case and develop learning outcomes
- Students research the learning outcomes in their own time
- Students attend a session at the HYMS multi-functional laboratory to work on clinical skills linked to the PBL case
- Teachers facilitate a follow up session with students to explore the learning outcomes of the PBL case
Some of the comments from students who have greatly enjoyed the project so far include;
- "I am even more determined to study medicine."
- "It has given me an insight into what the learning would be like."
- "It has developed my problem solving skills."
10 Feb 2016, 1:30-3:00pm - University of Hull
24 Feb 2016, 1:30-3:00pm - University of Hull
2 Feb 2016, 1:30-3:00pm - University of York
Please contact Alexandra Jeffrey to book or to discuss a Making Connections session.
Uncovering Medical School
Uncovering Medical School is suitable for students from Year 10 upwards who are considering applying to study Medicine. This information based session focuses on the application process and the course at HYMS.
By the end of the session students will;
- Understand the admissions process to medical school including grade requirements and personal statements.
- Learnt about the interview process and practised communication techniques.
- Know more about the course at HYMS.
- Understand what is involved in Problem Based Learning.
To book a session please contact Alexandra Jeffrey Alexandra.email@example.com