After you have firmly accepted an offer of a place at HYMS, we'll send you all the information you'll need to prepare for your time here.
- May: You have to pick your firm and insurance choices by the UCAS deadline, as long as you've received decisions from all the places you applied to.
- May/June: We'll write to you with your campus allocation. There will also be an occupational health questionnaire which you need to return to us by the end of June.
- June (Hull) or August (York): The university accommodation offices will write to you with details of how to apply for accommodation. If your place is conditional on A-level results, you may not get a letter until after your results.
- June to August: If your offer is conditional on qualifications other than A-levels (e.g. a degree, IB, etc), please send a copy to HYMS as soon as you receive them.
- End of August: We send welcome packs to everyone. There are various forms to complete and return, including fitness to practise and conditions of medical training.
- End of September: Arrive in York and Hull for the Sunday before the first day of term!
There's no need to do any preparatory reading, and we don't have a reading list.
If you want to read something before you come to HYMS, we suggest that you download the following documents:
We'll give you access to Blackboard, our virtual learning area, sometime during the summer before you start. There's lots more reading material there.
Stethoscopes and other equipment
You'll need a stethoscope early in your first term at HYMS, but there's no need to buy it in advance. Stethoscopes, white coats and other equipment will be available for you to buy during your induction week.
If you do choose to buy a stethoscope in advance, we recommend the Littmann Classic II SE. You don't have to choose that one, but the one you purchase must be of similar (or better) specification, with both bell and diaphragm.