The application process for an intercalated degree is different depending on whether you're a HYMS student or a student from another institution.
If you find you're unsure whether you want to intercalate, but you think you might, you should still apply. If the deadline passes and you change your mind, we can simply cancel your application. But if you don't apply and then change your mind, it'll be too late!
For HYMS students
If you'd like to intercalate, either at Bachelor's or Master's level, the application process is as follows:
- Complete an internal application form (Word document) and submit it to HYMS before 7 January 2013.
- We'll discuss your application with you informally in January or February. We'll take this discussion into account, as well as your performance in the MB BS course so far, when we decide whether to give you permission to intercalate.
- If we do give you permission and you want to intercalate at HYMS, we'll then pass your application to the host department or centre at HYMS, the University of Hull or the University of York. Your offer to intercalate will be conditional on your being accepted by the host department (they might want to interview you themselves).
- You will also need to pass your forthcoming Year 2 or Year 4 exams at the first attempt. We will review your offer to intercalate once your exam results are available.
For more detailed information about intercalating and the application process, see Blackboard, under 'HYMS For All 2012-13'.
If you'd like to intercalate at another institution (not HYMS), you still need to apply for permission from HYMS using the application form above. You must also apply directly to that institution. It's your responsibility to find out when their deadlines are, and meet them!
- If the institution asks you for copies of transcripts or references, you should contact email@example.com, giving at least at least two weeks' notice.
- There's no reason not to apply to more than one institution -- competition can be intense, and it's worth having a backup plan in case you don't get your first choice.
For non-HYMS students
If you're studying at another medical school and you'd like to intercalate at HYMS, the application process is as follows:
- Complete an external application form (PDF) and submit it to HYMS before 7 January 2013, together with two completed reference forms (PDF).
- If you're successful in your initial application, we'll invite you to discuss your application informally with us.
- If we make you an offer to intercalate, it will be conditional on you successfully completing your forthcoming year's exams, and we will ask for a transcript confirming these grades.
If you're thinking about intercalating at HYMS, you are welcome to email an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org before you submit the form. Please make sure that you include your name, email address, current location, and an indication of the project area you're interested in.