Saturday 23 March 2019, 10am - 4pm (registration from 9.30am)
Allam Lecture Theatre, Derwent Building, University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Hull, HU6 7RX
The one-day update course by GPs for GPs, GP STs and General Practice Nurses
- Do you ever feel like you are drowning in information or lack confidence in treating some conditions?
- Do you find it hard to be sure what is important for your practice from all the new guidelines?
- Do you struggle to produce coherent appraisal evidence each year?
The GP Update course is very relevant for clinical practice and will help you meet the requirements for appraisal and revalidation Using a lecture based format, with plenty of time for interaction, the GP presenters discuss the results of the most important new evidence and guidance, and concentrate on what it means to you and your patients in the consulting room tomorrow.
To help you prepare for your annual appraisal and revalidation we have a range of practical tools and offer an online service that tracks your learning throughout the year to avoid those last minute pre-appraisal panics. We’ll use humour and video clips to illustrate points being made, to keep you focused and awake.
Who is this course for?
This course is open to GPs, GP STs and Practice Nurses.
What will be covered?
This one-day course offers a wide-ranging, evidence-based programme, covering the latest guidance and major developments across all areas of general practice: from chronic conditions to Musculoskeletal medicine, from Mental health to Gastroenterology and many more in between.
The GP update handbook
Delegates receive a copy of the GP Update Handbook. This fully-referenced handbook covers the most important research, policy and guidance relevant to primary care over the last 5 years. Much more than just a set of lecture notes, the Handbook is a fully referenced resource that can be used in the consultation, as a learning tool, a source for tutorials and exam revision.
You’ll also get one year’s free subscription to www.GPCPD.com. With three times the content of the handbook, it allows you to capture CPD credits as you read on the site and use it in consultations! It also comes with focussed learning activities to earn further CPD credits.
Who are we?
Red Whale is one of the leading providers of primary care medical and nursing education in the UK with over 13,000 primary care practitioners attending our courses each year. We specialise in producing courses that are evidence-based, highly relevant to everyday practice and full of actions that delegates can take away and implement immediately. For more details, go to www.gp-update.co.uk
- GPs - £155
- Hull York Medical School clinical tutors, practice nurse, advanced clinical practitioners, GPSTs - £150
- Due to the generous support of Hull, East Riding, North Lincs and North East Lincs CCGs, clinicians from these areas can attend for the reduced rate of £65
Wednesday 27 March 2019, 10am - 4.30pm
Hollies Park, Weetwood, between Headingly and Adel, Leeds
Mindfulness is “the intentional, non-judgmental and non-reactive focus of attention on theemotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment”. In recent years,mindfulness practice has been increasingly employed to alleviate a variety of mental andphysical conditions. There is an increasing evidence base for its benefits.
This one day workshop is specifically designed for healthcare professionals in primary carewho wish to use mindfulness for their own personal benefit but also to raise awareness of it asa potential support for patients. We will be exploring theory, history, evidence, techniques anddaily practice of Mindfulness, emphasising its relationship to health and wellbeing.
- Small group working.
- Relaxed non-clinical environment.
- Opportunity for reflection and practice.
- Tangible strategies aimed at stress and pain reduction
- GPs: £120 (£110 for RCGP member, Hull York Medical School Alumni and Hull York Medical School Clinical Tutors)
- GP Registrars: £100
Saturday 6 April 2019, 10am - 4pm (registration from 9.30am)
Allam Medical Building, University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Hull, HU6 7RX
The one-day course for all nurses in general practice
- Swamped by new clinical information and latest guidance?
- Too much for you to read and too little time to read it?
- Need to give evidence-based advice to patients, carers and colleagues?
- Want help meeting NMC revalidation requirements?
We trawl through all the relevant journals to bring you right up to speed on the latest issues, literature, research and guidelines.
We are completely free from pharmaceutical company sponsorship so give you an independent, unbiased view of all of the latest evidence.
What will be covered?
This one-day course offers a wide-ranging, evidence-based programme, including all you need to know about:
- NMC Revalidation
- A range of long-term conditions important to primary care nurses
- Respiratory conditions
- Lipids and statins
- Sexual health
- Suspected cancer and latest guidelines
- plus top-to-toe topics from rhinitis to vaginal discharge to verrucas!
Who is this course for?
All General Practice Nurses. 98% of the nurses who attended our Spring GPN Update course would recommend it to a colleague. Practice Nurses and Nurse Practitioners said: “Probably the best course I have been on for a long time” - “The Handbook will become my bible!”
We understand the importance of nurses and doctors sharing knowledge and skills to improve care. Our course is both written and presented by our ANP and GP team.
What will you get on our course?
- Updates on the latest clinical evidence and guidance across a range of chronic and acute conditions.
- Great practical tips and tools improve patients’ engagement with their long-term conditions.
- Loads of ideas, guidance and reassurance on making CPD a part of your everyday practice.
- Tools tailored to meet NMC requirements, to help you with your Revalidation evidence.
- Ways to move things forward in your practice area.
- Tips to help you and your team work together effectively.
- Expertise and practical tools to share with your practice and support patients in managing their health.
- Guidance in managing clinical risk, with suggested activities to help you easily audit aspects of clinical safety.
- Lots of humour and fun to help get through everything in one day – without compromising the content of course!
The GPN Update Handbook
Delegates receive a copy of the GPN Update Handbook. This fully-referenced handbook covers the most important research, policy and guidance relevant to primary care nursing over the last 5 years
You’ll also get one year’s FREE subscription to GPNCPD.com - a purpose built tool giving you a really easy way to track your CPD for NMC Revalidation and the entire course handbook online. No need to pay extra for these valuable resources!
Who are we?
Red Whale is one of the leading providers of primary care medical and nursing education in the UK with over 13,000 primary care practitioners attending our courses each year. We specialise in producing courses that are evidence-based, highly relevant to everyday practice and full of actions that delegates can take away and implement immediately.
You may well have already heard great things about the GP Update Course from your GP colleagues.
The GPN Update Course keeps that fast-moving and fun format, with material focused on the priorities for nursing in primary care: to support YOU in supporting your patients. For more details, go to www.gp-update.co.uk/nurses
Due to the generous support of Hull, North Lincs, North East Lincs and East Riding CCGs, nurses from these CCG areas can attend the course at the greatly reduced rate of £40. Please note, however, that subsidised places are limited and will be on a first come, first served basis – please book early to avoid disappointment. Please note East Riding CCG subsidised places are now fully booked.
Non-subsidised places will be available for £150.
20 March and 10 April 2019, 9am - 4.30pm
Saint Catherine's Hospice, Scarborough
This comprehensive two-day workshop is for GPs and GPSTs looking to increase their skillsand confidence in palliative care. Each day complements the other, although both aresuitable as standalone study days.The aim of this course is to increase knowledge and skills of palliative care approaches, thereby increasing confidence when managing palliative care patients in primary care.
Course facilitators, Saint Catherine's
- Professor Miriam Johnson, Professor in Palliative Medicine, Hull York Medical School, Honorary Consultant, Saint Catherine’s Hospice
- Louise Barnes, Practice Educator
- Dr Sarah Callin, Consultant in Palliative Medicine
- Dr Carina Saxby, Consultant in Palliative Medicine, and Medical Director
- Dr Belinda Batten, Speciality Doctor in Palliative Medicine
- Maps to the RCGP curriculum
- Increased confidence in managing palliative care patients in primary care
- Detailed information on the MDT and other supportive agencies available in the Saint Catherine’s locality
- Facilitated small group work
- Case studiesIdeas for audit and optimising current practice
- Opportunity to refine skills between the study days and bring cases for reflection
Previous delegate feedback
”A great day - thank you all!”
“A very impressive course”
“Excellent knowledge, delivered well”
“A good mix of communication and clinical skills”
“Very good summary of major palliative care over the two days”
- GPs: £115 per day or £220 if attending both (£110 per day or £210 if attending both for RCGP member and Hull York Medical School Clinical Tutors)
- Hull York Medical School Alumni/GP Registrars: £100 per day or £190 if attending both