I am a behavioural scientist with over 10 years post doctoral experience. I lead the Institute of Clinical and Applied Health Research (ICAHR) Methods Hub and collaborate closely with the Hull Health Trials Unit.
I have expertise in a range of qualitative and quantitative research approaches (co-design, surveys, observational studies, clinical trials, process evaluations, interviews, and focus groups). Much of my current work involves undertaking process evaluations linked to clinical trials, and conducting embedded qualitative studies aimed at understanding the experience of patients and staff involved, and developing interventions to improve trial recruitment.
Maureen obtained her BSc in Psychology, MSc in Psychology Applied to Health, and PhD at the University of Leeds. Her research interests are varied and reflect her mixed methods research expertise. She has a particular interest in using patient experience data to improve patient care (e.g. intervention development) and testing healthcare interventions (clinical trials). From work she has conducted on a range of clinical trials, she has developed an interest in how we can improve clinical trial recruitment and retention through the use of enhanced Patient Information and Clinician training, and the use of qualitative methods to improve the conduct and design of randomised controlled trials.
I undertake mixed methods evaluations of new health and social care interventions, using qualitative methods within clinical trials (RCTs) and other study designs, to understand patient and clinician acceptability. I am also interested in how we can best support trial recruitment and retention to ensure clinical trials recruitment reflects the population of interest.
I have a well-established track record of work within the area of patient and public involvement in research. I am committed to active and meaningful involvement in research studies and ensuring that this is appropriately embedded into the project.
A phase II, randomised feasibility trial of a tailored, home-based exercise programme on disease-free survival among early stage high-risk recurring cancers in Yorkshire. Yorkshire Cancer Research
Adapting a smartphone-based rehabilitation programme for older adults living with and beyond cancer: a development study using Intervention Mapping. NIHR RfPB
Examining Impact of Local Area Coordination as a Preventative Intervention in Adult Social Care. NIHR Research for Social Care (RfSC) Programme
Electronic Palliative Care Co-ordination Systems (EPaCCS) in end of life care: evaluating their implementation and optimising future service provision. NIHR HS& DR
LaCeS2: A multicentre, randomised controlled trial of Laparoscopic versus Open Colorectal Surgery in the Acute Setting. NIHR HTA
Near Infrared Fluorescence (NIRF) Imaging to prevent Post-surgical Hypoparathyroidism (PoSH) after Thyroid Surgery (NIFTy) - A phase II/III pragmatic, multicentre randomised controlled trial. NIHR Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation Programme
- MSc in Pharmacology and Drug Development
- MSc in Palliative Care: Implementing best Practice
Please view Maureen's publications on Worktribe.
- Gurusamy K, Corrigan N, Croft J, Twiddy M, Morris S, Woodward N, Bandula S, Hochhauser D, Napp V, Pullan A, Jakowiw N, Prasad R, Olde Damink S, Van Laarhoven CJHM, de Wilt JHW, Brown B, Davidson BR (2018) Liver resection surgery versus thermal ablation for colorectal LiVer MetAstases (LAVA): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 19:105 doi.org/10.1186/s13063-018-2499-5
- Twiddy, M., C. J. Czoski Murray, S. J. Mason, D. Meads, J. M. Wright, E. D. Mitchell and J. Minton (2018). "A qualitative study of patients’ feedback about Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT) services in Northern England: implications for service improvement." BMJ Open 8(1). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019099
- Vargas-Palacios A, Meads DM, Twiddy M, Czoski Murray C, Hulme C, Mitchell ED, Gregson A, Stanley P, Minton J. Cost-effectiveness of outpatient parenteral antibiotic therapy: A simulation modelling approach. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2017; 72 (8):2392-2400.
10.1093/jac/dkx123 View Open Access version
- Oughton JB, Poad H, Twiddy M, Collinson M, Hiley V, Gordon K, Johnson M, Jain S, Noon AP, Chahal R, Simms M, Dooldeniya M, Koenig P, Goodwin L, Brown JM, Catto JWF. Radical cystectomy (bladder removal) against intravesical BCG immunotherapy for high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (BRAVO): A protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study. BMJ Open. 2017; 7 (8):-.
- Edmondson AJ, Birtwistle J, Catto JWF, Twiddy M. The patients' experience of bladder cancer diagnosis: a systematic review of the qualitative evidence. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2017; 11 (4):453-461.
10.1007/s11764-017-0603-6 View Open Access version
- Mitchell ED, Czoski Murray C, Meads D, Minton J, Wright J, Twiddy M. Clinical and cost-effectiveness, safety and acceptability of community intravenous antibiotic service models: CIVAS systematic review. BMJ Open. 2017; 7 (4):-.
10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013560 View Open Access version
- Minton J, Czoski Murray C, Meads D, Hess S, Mitchell E, Wright J, Hulme C, Raynor DK, Gregson A, Stanley P, McLintock K, Vincent R, Twiddy M. The Community IntraVenous Antibiotic Study (CIVAS): a mixed methods evaluation of patient preferences for and cost effectiveness of different service models for delivering outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy. . 2017; ():-.
10.3310/hsdr05060 View Open Access version
- Acharya S, Bryant L, Twiddy M. Altruism or obligation? The motivations and experience of women who donate oocytes to known recipients in assisted conception treatment: an interpretative phenomenological analysis study. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017; 38 (1):4-11.
10.1080/0167482X.2016.1233171 View Open Access version
- Baluwala A, Ghosh D, Dwarakanath A, Twiddy M, Daxter P, Jamson SL, Elliott M. OSAS AND DRIVING - BTS RETURN SURVEY TO ASSESS CONSISTENCY OF ADVICE GIVEN TO PATIENTS AT DIAGNOSIS AND AFTER TREATMENT- A REPEAT OF THE 2013 SURVEY TO EVALUATE THE IMPACT OF A BTS STATEMENT AND NEW DVLA REGULATIONS. THORAX. 2016; 71 ():A120-A121.
- Allsop MJ, Twiddy M, Grant H, Czoski Murray C, Mon-Williams M, Mushtaq F, Phillips N, Zakrzewska J, Pavitt S. Diagnosis, medication and surgical management for patients with trigeminal neuralgia: a qualitative study. Acta Neurochirurgica. 2015; 157 (11):1925-1933.
10.1007/s00701-015-2515-4 View Open Access version
- Czoski Murray C, Twiddy M, Meads D, Hess S, Wright J, Mitchell ED, Hulme C, Dodd S, Gent H, Gregson A, McLintock K, Raynor DK, Reynard K, Stanley P, Vincent R, Minton J. Community IntraVenous Antibiotic Study (CIVAS): protocol for an evaluation of patient preferences for and cost-effectiveness of community intravenous antibiotic services. BMJ Open. 2015; 5 (8):-.
10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008965 View Open Access version
- Hill KM, Twiddy M, Hewison J, House AO. Measuring patient-perceived continuity of care for patients with long-term conditions in primary care. BMC Family Practice. 2014; 15 (1):-.
10.1186/s12875-014-0191-8 View Open Access version
- Dwarakanath A, Twiddy M, Ghosh D, Jamson SL, Baxter PD, Elliott MW. Variability in clinicians' opinions regarding fitness to drive in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS).. Thorax. 2014; ():-.
10.1136/thoraxjnl-2014-206180 View Open Access version
- Craigs CL, Twiddy M, Parker SG, West RM. Understanding causal associations between self-rated health and personal relationships in older adults: A review of evidence from longitudinal studies. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2014; 59 (2):211-226.
10.1016/j.archger.2014.06.009 View Open Access version
- Boote J, Twiddy M, Baird W, Birks Y, Clarke C, Beever D. Supporting public involvement in research design and grant development: a case study of a public involvement grant award scheme managed by a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Research Design Service. Health Expectations. 2013; ():-.
- Twiddy M, House A, Jones F. The association between discrepancy in Illness Representations on distress in stroke patients and carers. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2012; ():-.
- Twiddy M, Wilson I, Bryant M, Rudolf M. Lessons learned from a family-focussed weight management intervention for obese and overweight children. Public Health Nutrition. 2011; ():-.
Dr Brian Davidson, Royal Free Hospital and Dr Kurinchi Gurusamy - LAVA trial (liver ablation vs surgery trial)
Prof Pete Sagar (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust) and Dr Deena Harji, (Newcastle) NIHR RfPB funded LaCeS trial (open vs laparoscopic colorectal surgery in the emergency setting)
Prof Jim Catto, University of Sheffield, and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust - BRAVO trial: High risk bladder cancer: a randomised controlled feasibility study of radical cystectomy against intra-vesical immunotherapy.
Dr Janine Bestall and Professor Jenny Hewison, University of Leeds, Patient understanding of biomarker test information.
Prof Julia Brown, Leeds Clinical Trials Unit – LAVA, LaCeS, BRAVO trials
Dr Rebecca Walwyn, Leeds Clinical Trials Unit – TIGA CUB (trial for conduct disorder in children)
Ms Carolyn Murray and Dr David Meads, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds – CIVAS – cost effectiveness and patient preferences for OPAT (outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy
Prof Robbie Foy, University of Leeds and Prof Anne MacFarlane, University of Limerick, co-supervision of Dr Jess Drinkwater (Participatory research to strengthen the role of patient and public involvement in general practice service improvement)
I welcome enquiries from motivated students from around the world who are interested in undertaking applied health research projects. As a methodologist, I particularly welcome applications from students who are interested in exploring the methods used in research, and those interested in understanding the experience of living with and managing chronic illness.
Current PhD Students
Lady Akwa - Alcohol and Physical exercise
Pamela Parker - Evaluating the use of microultrasound in the active surveillance pathway for prostate cancer patients
Tania Nurun - Alcohol Care pathways
Jake Penkethman - Management of diabetic foot ulcers, the impact of deprivation on management
Louise Hitchman - SOLEFUL "Evaluating shockwave therapy of lower extremity diabetic foot ulcers"
Sarah Hodge - Embedding physical activity into the cancer pathway - what are the psychosocial, cultural and resource challenges?
Francesca Leone - Heart of the Matter - Is Cardiac Surgery Trauma?
NIHR Pre-doctoral fellowship panel member
NIHR HTA Commissioned call methodology reviewer
British Journal for Health Psychology Editorial Board (2018-)
BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care Associate Editor (2019-2022)
NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Panel member (2018-22)
British Journal of Health Psychology Panel of Scholars member
Chair Faculty of Health Sciences Ethics Committee