Thozhukat Sathyapalan (Sathya) is the Chair in Academic Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism in Hull York Medical School, University of Hull and Honorary Consultant Endocrinologist at Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, UK. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Medicine from University of Kerala, India in 1996 and his MD (General Medicine) from JIPMER, India. He subsequently did his clinical training in Diabetes and Endocrinology as a Specialist Registrar in Yorkshire Deanery. Sathya was a Clinical Research Fellow in University of Hull and obtained his MD (Diabetes and Endocrinology) in 2009. He was appointed as Senior Lecturer in Hull York Medical School in October 2009, Reader in 2012 and was made Chair in Academic Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2016.
His main area of interest is on modulation of cardiovascular risk through pharmacological and nutritional interventions in insulin resistant states such as obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and type 2 diabetes mellitus. He is interested in traditional as well as novel risk factors, specifically endocrine disruptors.
Mr Abayomi Sanusi - Multimorbidities in patients with diabetes and metabolic disorders (Phd 2019-2022) (Principal Supervisor)
Katie Bird - Evaluation of pharmacology prescribing assessment for undergraduate medical students (Principal Supervisor)
Alexandra Macnamara - Evaluation of pharmacology teaching for undergraudate medical students (Principal Supervisor)
Dr Mo Aye – Hull Hip fracture Intervention and Prevention Programme (HHIPP) (PhD 2015-18) OSPREY – osteoporosis research charity. (Principal Supervisor)
Youssra HZ Dakroury - Vitamin D effects in Qatari population (MSc 2018-19), Weill Cornell at Qatar (Principal Supervisor)
Mr REJ England - Parameters for parathyroid surgery in hyperparathyroidism ( MD - 2018)
Saeed Alqarni - Endoparticle profile in patients with type 2 diabetes (PhD 2015-18) (Co-supervisor)
- Chair of Hull York Medical School Ethics committee (2016 - )
- Lead the Academic Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Group at HYMS
- Lead the Endocrinology Comprehensive Research Network for Yorkshire and Humber
- Deputy lead for the Diabetes Comprehensive Research Network for Yorkshire and Humber.
- Member of NIHR CRN national committee for metabolic and endocrine disorders.
- Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) National Committee: 2013 – to date
- National UK lead for Freestyle Libre audit
- British Society for Endocrinology, National Clinical Committee: 2014 – 2018
- UKI NETS Clinical Practice Committee: 2015 – to date
- Member of European Neuroendocrine Tumour Society 2017 – to date
- Steering Committee for the UK Acromegaly Register: 2016 – to date
- National Institute of Health Research, Health Technology Assessment, Diagnostic Technologies & Screening Programmes (DTSP) Panel member: 2013-15
- Member of Steering Group – ABCD Nationwide Exenatide/Liraglutide Audit: 2013-15
- Member of Strategic Clinical Network Board (Diabetes), Yorkshire and Humber Group)
- Member and key stakeholder in the Acne Priority Setting Partnership, James Lind Alliance.
- Chairman of Pit Pat, Hull (local branch of Pituitary Foundation, patient support group, UK)
Membership of professional bodies
- American College of Physicians
- British Endocrine Society
- American Endocrine Society
- Royal College of Physicians (Edin)
- Association of British Clinical Diabetologists
- European neuroendocrine tumour society
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group)
- Clinical Endocrinology
- British Journal of Diabetes (Associate Editor)
- Frontiers in Diabetes (Associate Editor)