I am a post doc researcher and also a physiotherapist with a special interest in breathlessness in palliative care.
Background: Physiotherapist, qualified Leeds (1998)
- Wide range of clinical experience employed in NHS (over 5 years)
- Work abroad in Italy private practice and self- employed (4 years)
- Palliative care physiotherapist at St Catherine’s hospice, Scarborough (2 years)
Specialist area of interest and clinical practice:
- Acupuncture in palliative care
- Non-pharmacological interventions for breathlessness management
Swan F, Booth S, The role of airflow for chronic refractory breathlessness Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care 2015;Sept 9(3):206-11.
Swan F, Newey A, Bland M, Bausewein C, Booth S, Johnson M, Yorke J, A systematic review and meta-analyses of airflow for the relief of chronic refractory breathlessness in people with advanced cardio-respiratory diseases and mild hypoxaemia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017 Vol 195 A4286
Johnson M, Swan F, Booth S, Currow D, Hart S, Philips J L, The hand-held fan for breathlessness How do patients use it and does it help Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017 Vol 195 A2685
Luckett T PJ, Johnson MJ, Farquhar M, Swan F, Assen T, Bhattarai P, Booth S. . Contributions of a hand-held fan to self-management of chronic breathlessness. . European Respiratory Journal. 2017;In press.