We are pleased to offer four Postgraduate Taught Widening Access Scholarships for 2022 entry for UK students applying to the following programmes at Hull York Medical School:
Value of award
Each award offers £1000 which is awarded as tuition fee discount. There are four awards in total for students applying to the eligible programmes listed above (both part-time and full-time study).
To be considered for this award:
- You must have applied to study and hold an offer (conditional or unconditional) for the eligible programmes listed above.
- You must be paying tuition fees at the UK (home) rate. If you are not sure of your fee status visit the University of York website.
- You must be commencing your degree course in September 2022. Students who are applying in 2021/2 for deferred entry will not be eligible for this award but will be advised of scholarships available to them in their year of entry.
- Your household income must be below £25,000
In addition, you must also meet one of the following widening participation criteria:
- You attended an underperforming school for your GCSEs and/or A Levels
- Your home postcode (where you lived when undertaking your GCSEs and A Levels) was in an area of low progression to Higher Education (Your POLAR4 young participation quintile should be 1 or 2 to qualify). You can check your postcode on the Office for Students website.
- You are care experienced or a care leaver
- You are from a Gypsy, Roma, Traveller, Showman, Boatman community
- You are from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background
- You have unpaid caring responsibilities for a family member (who needs support due to an illness, disability, mental health condition or an addiction)
- You are in the process of fleeing domestic abuse
- You have a disability or long-term health condition
- You identify as LGBTQ+
- You are the first generation in your family to go to university
- You have refugee status
Please note that we may ask for additional information in support of some of these criteria.
How will the scholarships be awarded?
Applicants are required to submit a statement, 1000-words maximum, which will be considered alongside their personal statement and CV.
Scholarships will be awarded to applicants based on the following:
- Understanding of and commitment to the Medical School’s values
- Commitment to their chosen field of study and to their career development
- Personal achievements
- Academic merit
- Ability to communicate in a written format
The application will also be judged on structure, presentation, relevant content and how well the brief was addressed.
How to apply
Applicants should apply online using the link below. As part of the online application, applicants will be asked to submit:
- A maximum 1000-word statement outlining why they feel they should be considered for this scholarship. The statement will be considered alongside your personal statement and CV.
- A statement from your referee that comments on your suitability and evidences that you meet one or more of the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Name, address and postcode of the School and/or College where you studied your GCSEs and A Levels.
- Your home address during your GCSE and A Level study.
- You will also be asked to reflect on the eligibility criteria and how your personal background entitles you to apply for this award.
The deadline for applications is 31 May 2022 and any applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
If you have any queries regarding the Postgraduate Taught Widening Access Scholarships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org